News in English

Diese Seite verwendet Cookies. Durch die Nutzung unserer Seite erklären Sie sich damit einverstanden, dass wir Cookies setzen. Weitere Informationen

Forumsstruktur

Es gibt 129 Antworten in diesem Thema. Der letzte Beitrag () ist von Rhiannon.

Writer claims Scotland's history has been deliberately distorted by centuries of English oppression

THE row over “colonialism” in Scottish culture is set to break out again as the result of a controversial new book which claims that Scotland’s history has been deliberately distorted by centuries of suppression and distortion to conform to a “Britishist” agenda.

Writer, poet and lecturer Stuart McHardy’s new book Scotland’s Future History claims among other things that the Scottish Wars of Independence should not be so-called as Scotland was independent even before England was properly founded and the conflicts fought by Wallace and Bruce were in fact “battles for survival” against invading armies.

He said: “Why do we call them the Wars of Independence? Just because a couple of English kings claimed to control Scotland when they never did?

“Because it fits in with the “British” view, that’s why and British just means English and people have happily kow-towed to it.

“Some people say why worry about it? Well I think it’s an insult to every person born in Scotland that we are told to accept this description.”

He also challenges accepted theories on other parts of Scottish history – among other refutations, McHardy states the original Scots were not Irish, the Picts are not “a mysterious lost people” and the Battle of Culloden did not end the Jacobite cause.

His most controversial claim is about post-Union colonialism: “The actualities of Scotland’s history have been neglected due to a perceived need within the political and educational establishment to prevent a version of our past that conforms wherever possible to the idea of Britishness that has been developed since the Union of 1707.”

He adds in the book: “Scottish history has been constantly and insidiously arranged to fit what can be interpreted as an essentially colonialist mentality.

“Scottish history as it has been written over the past 300 years has all too often been subjected to suppression, distortion or manipulation by those who were in positions of importance at school or national level.”

In an exclusive interview with The National, McHardy, 68, who describes himself as a cultural activist, said that generations of history teachers had been forced to conform to the “British agenda”.

He added: “When I was at school, nobody talked or taught about things like the Clearances. That only came about in the 1960s when John Prebble wrote about them – and he was not part of the university system which is why he was so frowned on at first.

“At least now we have historians like Tom Devine and Ted Cowan and others who have been doing great work on Scottish history but they have really only scratched the surface.

“Thank goodness the SNP Government came in with the curriculum for excellence that means Scottish history is taught in our schools. It will take a couple of generations for that to have a real effect, however.”

Calling for much greater concentration on archaeology outwith Roman remains – “not long ago half of all archeological digs in Scotland were to do with the Romans” – McHardy said that in future, history should be “about finding out who we are because the past always impinges on the present.”

He added: “It’s time that we rejected the notion of history being about big men doing big things.

“We should really be looking at the indigenous peoples of Scotland such as the Picts and the Scots and stop worrying about the Romans – after all, they came, they saw, they buggered off.”

McHardy feels “righteous anger” about the way that Scottish history has been taught in the past and is also scathing about the way certain institutions have manipulated history.

“The law, the kirk and the universities tell us that they are the identity of Scotland, but what they were doing was looking after themselves and protecting their own position within an essentially colonial situation,” he said.

“I don’t think that’s changed, and as long as we have David Mundell in the Scotland Office we still have a Governor-general – and I don’t see a great difference between a Governor-general and a Secretary of State.”

McHardy admits he wrote the book, which is published by Luath Press in Edinburgh, in a bid to provoke “a debate” about Scottish history and the way it is taught and written.

He said: “As a nation founded well over 1,000 years ago, we are known and admired throughout the world. It is time we knew ourselves better.”

Quelle: The National

“For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary. It is all. It is undying. And it is enough.”

"I wanted ye from the first moment I saw ye. But I loved ye when ye wept in my arms that first night at Leoch. But now...I wake up every day, and I find that I love you more than I did the day before."
      Glasgow Scottish Water project uncovers medieval castle

The remains of two castles, one of them up to 800 years old, have been discovered in Glasgow.

They came to light during a £250m project by Scottish Water to upgrade the city's waste water infrastructure.

The structures are thought to include a 12th or 13th Century castle used by the bishops of Glasgow, as well as the later Partick Castle.

The find has been described as the most significant piece of archaeology in the city "for a generation".

The features uncovered include ditches, a well and several stone walls.

There had been documentary evidence of the 17th Century Partick Castle. It was thought to have been on the site of the earlier castle used by bishops in what was then rural Partick.

Experts say this is "the first hard, tangible evidence" that either castle existed.

The discoveries were made in the Castlebank Street area north of the Clyde, where Scottish Water have been preparing to install a combined sewer overflow (CSO).
      Hugh McBrien, of West of Scotland Archaeology Service, said: "No-one knew anything about the 12th century castle in Partick. There was documentary evidence that the bishops of Glasgow spent time in Partick and there have been historical references to 'charters signed at Partick'. But that's all.
      "It has been known that there was a tower house or castle in the 17th century but all we had were antiquarian drawings and documents that refer to Partick Castle."
      He added: "This is the most significant archaeological discovery in Glasgow in a generation."
      Archaeological work was carried out on the site on behalf of Scottish Water by Guard Archaeology.

Destructive development

Project manager Warren Bailie said: "These findings made during Scottish Water's work are of national significance and provide a rare glimpse into the medieval beginnings of Partick and Glasgow.

"The survival of these medieval remains is especially remarkable given that the site, not unlike many industrial river banks across Britain, has witnessed such large-scale destructive development over the centuries."

The remains of the castles and artefacts have lain under ground which has been used as an engine works, an industrial laundry, the old Partick Central Railway Station, a metal scrapyard and a foundry.

Archaeologists have been able to recover fragments of pottery, metalwork, leather, glass and animal bones.

Scottish Water environmental advisor Simon Brassey said: "The history of the area in this part of Partick, where Scottish Water needs to replace our existing CSO, is documented on old maps but it is only when the ground is opened up that you can fully understand what has survived 19th century industrialisation.

"As part of the project planning, Scottish Water identified the possibility of archaeology and so factored in time for the area to be pre-excavated.

"However, the discoveries are much more exciting than we had expected and we are delighted that, with the archaeologists' help and expertise, we have been able to uncover something of such importance."

Quelle: BBC News

“For where all love is, the speaking is unnecessary. It is all. It is undying. And it is enough.”

"I wanted ye from the first moment I saw ye. But I loved ye when ye wept in my arms that first night at Leoch. But now...I wake up every day, and I find that I love you more than I did the day before."
      100-tonne landslide shuts Highlands road and line

ravel in parts of the Highlands has been disrupted following a landslide.

The landslip has blocked the railway line between Fort William and Mallaig and had also affected the nearby A830 since about 18:00 on Thursday.

Roads maintenance company Bear Scotland said about 100 tonnes of material was washed onto the railway and road.

ScotRail said there was disruption to services between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig terminating at or starting from Fort William.

The landslide happened about half a mile east of Lochailort.

ScotRail said disruption on the route was expected until at least the end of the normal service timetable on Saturday.

The A830 was shut between the Lochailort and Drumsallie junction, before a single lane was reopened to traffic.

The landslide happened during a period of heavy downpours that affected Skye, Mull, the west Highlands and Argyll.

The Met Office issued a yellow "be aware" warning of heavy rain earlier this week.

Earlier, Bear Scotland said teams cleared away material from the road on Thursday evening, but further debris was washed onto the carriageway due to the heavy rains.

The conditions hampered the clear-up operations, resulting in the road remaining closed overnight.

A ScotRail spokeswoman said: "We are grateful to customers for their patience during the disruption which is being caused by a landslip blocking the line.

"Buses are running in place of trains between Fort William and Mallaig to help keep people on the move.

"However, roads are also affected by the landslip and divisionary routes may be used, meaning extended journey times. We apologise to customers who are affected by this disruption."

Police Scotland said: "Police are assisting Bear Scotland and it is currently unknown when the road will reopen."

Quelle: BBC

SCHWARZ, SAGT IHR, IST DIE FARBE DES BÖSEN....

.....aber ihr irrt!!
      Nicht mehr ist schwarz als Farbe der Dunkelheit.
      Ist es Schuld des Dunklen, dass sich das Böse
      von Zeit zu Zeit unter seinem schützenden Mantel verkriecht?
      Versteckt es sich nicht ebenso im gleisenden Licht,
      dass die Menschen blendet und so über seinen wahren Charakter
      täuscht?
      Schwarz aber ist die Farbe der Geborgenheit.
      Schwarz ist die Erde, in der das Samenkorn wächst.
      Dunkel ist es im Mutterleib, der das Ungeborene schützt.
      Alles Gute wächst im Dunklen, bevor es stark genug ist,
      an`s Licht zu treten.
      (Ancient Le Grey)
      Da hat sich aber jemand weit ins Rannoch Moor gewagt - eigentlich ist das ja verboten. :D

Scotland faces snow and gales over Christmas period

Scotland is expected to be hit by snow and 70mph gales in the run-up to Christmas. Forecasters have warned that the north west and the Western Isles face stormy conditions including rain, sleet and snow. They also said the weather could worsen for north and western parts of Scotland later in the week and into Christmas Eve, as conditions are expected to deteriorate from Tuesday. West coast ferry operator CalMac has warned weekend passengers to be aware of possible disruption. CalMac operations director Drew Collier said: “Weather forecasts for the west of Scotland are predicting a stormy week for many especially as we near the weekend when people will be travelling for Christmas. “We will review sailings on a case by case basis but would advise anyone planning to travel by ferry to take this into account when planning journeys in the next few days.” Met Office staff said that, as 25 December approaches, people across the UK should expect wetter and windier conditions, but are unlikely to need a sleigh. A spokesman for the Met Office said: “It’s relatively a long distance away still, so obviously there’s a fair amount of uncertainty. But it’s looking like it will probably be relatively mild, so unlikely to see much of a white Christmas.” He said there may be local variations, with the possibility of snow on the mountains in Scotland, and that while overnight temperatures could drop below freezing in some places, it will remain mild during the day. The Met Office outlook for the next six to 30 days in the UK suggests that Friday will start with local frost and some patchy fog in the south, but it will turn unsettled from the west through the day. Its website said: “This will herald a changeable and at times very unsettled spell of weather as we move through the Christmas period and towards New Year. “A succession of deep Atlantic depressions will bring bands of heavy rain east across all parts, although sheltered eastern and south-eastern areas should see some reasonable drier interludes too. “Winds will often be strong, with periods of gales, and the potential for some stormy conditions at times in the north-west.”

Quelle: The Scotsman

Your Best Caravan Tour of Scotland

When you are thinking about your holiday in Scotland, plan to stay on Thistle Caravan Parks, all of which are 4 or 5 stars. Here is a route you can follow, whether you fly to Edinburgh or Glasgow and hire a motorhome or catch the ferry to Newcastle with your own caravan. On the east coast, Thurston Manor Holiday Park near Dunbar is not far from the border with England so an excellent place for your first stop, if you arrive by ferry. In Dunbar is Belhaven Holiday Park – it’s worth doing a tour of the nearby Belhaven Brewery.

An alternative is Blairgowrie Holiday Park, on the outskirts of the busy market town of Blairgowrie on the road to Royal Deeside, where the royal family spends the summer between Braemar and Ballater; to the east along the River Dee is Deeside Holiday Park. From here retrace your steps to Braemar and south to Blair Atholl Caravan Park near Pitlochry. As you head south, there are two choices. From the A9, at Stirling, turn west to the Trossachs and stay at the Trossachs Holiday Park. Or go west from Perth to the north end of Loch Lomond and then south along its shores to Loch Lomond Holiday Park or Lomond Woods Holiday Park. Be sure to take a cruise on Loch Lomond.

Or you can drive a little further to North Berwick, a lovely coastal town (with trains to Edinburgh), and stay at Tantallon Caravan Park, close to the beach, or continue to the outskirts of Edinburgh and stay at Mortonhall Caravan Park (there is a good bus service to the centre of Edinburgh). North of Edinburgh, across the Firth of Forth and the Firth of Tay, in the county of Perthshire, is the attractive village of Alyth, with two Thistle Parks – Five Roads Caravan Park, quite small, with a pub next door, and Nethercraig Holiday Park, in the Angus Glens, a great place for walkers.

A holiday in Scotland should include a visit to Edinburgh and Glasgow and the best way to do this is to stay in the Red Deer Holiday Village, east of Glasgow, with easy access to both cities. If this is your second visit to Scotland and you want to explore new places, South West Scotland is for you, with beaches on the Solway Firth, fishing villages, hills and moorland. Stay in Glenearly Caravan Park or Loch Ken Caravan Park and enjoy the Galloway Forest and the dark skies, with no light pollution to spoil your star-gazing. Wherever you stay, you will find an abundance of places to visit – castles and historic houses, abbeys and gardens, and places to buy excellent Scottish woollens and tweeds, plus forests, with walking and cycling trails.

In the main season, it is best to book your first few nights in advance - after that you can book from day to day.

Quelle: Der Schottlandberater